Representing Greater Metropolitan Houston Area Defendants in DWI Cases - An Attorney Who Will Fight For Your Rights
If you've been charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI), drunk driving or driving under the influence (DUI), you need experienced legal advice to defend your rights. The strict drunk driving laws in Texas carry serious penalties, including jail time and loss of your driver's license. A conviction could affect your future employment opportunities and will result in an increase in your auto insurance rates.
Texas law states that firsttime offenders will:
- Receive a fine up to $2,000;
- Be confined to jail between 72 hours and 180 days;
- Have their license suspended for no less than 90 days and no more than a year.
Second time offenders will:
- Be fined up to $4,000;
- Serve between 30 days and 1 year in jail;
- Face a license suspension between 6 months and two years.
Third time offenders (considered a thirddegree felony) will:
- Be fined up to $10,000;
- Serve between two and 10 years in the penitentiary;
- Face a license suspension up to two years.
At Smith & Hassler, we do not condone drunk driving, but we understand that people who are arrested and charged have legal rights. And we understand that every case is unique. Police sometimes overreach, or make mistakes, in their attempt to enforce the law. We will examine your case thoroughly to ensure your rights are protected.
If you have been arrested or charged with DWI or DUI in Houston, contact Smith & Hassler. Don't delay.
Contact a Criminal Defense Lawyer with Our Firm
At Smith & Hassler, serving the greater metropolitan Houston area, our aggressive criminal defense lawyers can help if you or a loved one is accused of DWI.
Remember, your initial consultation is free.