What To Do After A Car Or Truck Accident
Follow These Steps, Then Call Smith & Hassler
If you are in an auto accident, you will need to take certain steps and gather information to help your case. This information can help you prove you were injured because of someone else's negligence in your car or truck accident. Our car accident attorneys have created this list of things to do following your accident (if you are able to do so):
- Contact the police. Let them know if anyone is injured or if anyone is intoxicated.
- Gather the following information from those involved in your accident (including drivers, passengers, pedestrians and witnesses):
- Full names
- Phone numbers
- License plate numbers
- Make and model of cars
- Insurance status of drivers - including insurance company name and the policy number*
- Name of person to whom vehicle is registered
*The police officer may tell you the other driver's information will be in the report. That may be true, but Texas law says the officer has up to 10 days to turn in the report. If you don't get the other driver's information at the scene you may have to wait up to 10 days before you can even file a claim with the other driver's insurance.
- Write down details about the accident, such as the date and time of the accident, the directions of the vehicles, how it occurred, the names and badge numbers of police officers who came to the scene, and any damage to the vehicles that you saw.
- Photograph the accident scene, including damage to vehicles, skid marks, street signs, and weather conditions. If you don't have a camera, contact Smith & Hassler. Our staff may be available to take photos for you. Many people now have cell phone cameras, making it easier to take photos.
- Find medical help. See your doctor even if you were not directly injured in the accident. Injuries, such as whiplash, sometimes are not felt until a few days after the accident.
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible. If you think, for any reason, your insurance company is not going to cover your accident, contact Smith & Hassler before you call your insurance company.
- Do not answer any questions or offer statements to the other drivers' insurance company before speaking to an attorney.
The next step is to call an attorney. Even if the accident is minor, it's a good idea to make sure that your rights are respected. An attorney can review the details of your case and go over your legal options for recovering damages.
If you have Smith & Hassler on your side, we can also conduct our investigation into the accident. Our legal team knows where to look for evidence that the other driver was negligent.
Contact a Car and Truck Accident Lawyer with Our Firm
At Smith & Hassler, an experienced personal injury attorney will assist you or your loved one with your case. Call (713) 739-1250 for your free personal injury consultation today. We handle cases throughout Texas.
Remember, your initial consultation is free, and you don't pay us unless you win.