How much is my car accident worth?
Experienced Houston personal injury lawyers committed to our clients
When you’ve been hurt in a Houston car accident, you may not know what to do next. A negligent driver caused the crash that left you hurt, and you deserve financial compensation. You aren’t sure how to go about it, however. Smith & Hassler can guide you through the process every step of the way.
One of the first things clients want to know is how much their car accident is worth. There are many factors that affect the value of your claim, including the type and seriousness of your injuries and the other driver’s insurance policy limits. While it’s impossible to come up with an exact figure, our firm can give you an idea of what to expect.
In general, you can seek compensation for:
These are losses you have suffered that have a specific dollar value. They include:
- Medical expenses – This includes all expenses for treatment related to the injuries suffered in your car accident – both now and in the future. It can cover expenses such as diagnostic testing, surgery, hospitalization, follow-up appointments with doctors, home health aides and any home medical equipment you need.
- Lost wages – This includes income a person was not able to earn while recovering from an injury.
- Lost earning capacity – This includes income a person will be unable to earn in the future because of a permanent disability caused by an injury.
- Damage to property – If you were involved in a car accident, this is usually the repair or replacement cost of your car.
These are real losses you have suffered that are more difficult to put a dollar value on. They include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental or emotional pain or anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of enjoyment in life
If we represent you, our attorneys can determine the total damages you have suffered. This amount may continue to rise if you need further treatment for your injuries or miss more time from work. Then we demand compensation.
Call the car accident lawyers who are prepared to win
Our firm knows how to build strong cases that prove you were hurt because of another driver’s negligence. We gather evidence and carefully review accident reports and medical records. We identify and interview witnesses. If needed, we consult accident reconstruction experts and other specialists who can help us understand what happened.
Insurance companies have many tactics they use to try to limit your compensation. They may challenge the seriousness of your injuries. They may try to blame you for causing the accident. They’ll sometimes make a lowball settlement offer that doesn’t come close to covering the damages you suffered.
All of this is designed to help them save money and leave you with less. That’s not good enough. We take a personalized approach toward each case and will fight to help you recover the compensation you deserve. When insurance companies see that we are ready to fight them in court, they often negotiate a settlement that meets your needs.
If you’ve been hurt in a Houston car accident, learn more about how we can help. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Houston car accident lawyer.