Personal Injury Lawyers | Houston, Texas
Free Case Consultation 877-777-1529

Houston Hit-And-Run Accident Lawyers

Our car accident attorneys are ready to fight for you

In Texas, drivers are required by law to stay on the scene when there’s been a car accident. When you are hit by a driver who does not stop to exchange information about the accident and simply leaves, you've been involved in a hit-and-run. Smith & Hassler can fight for your rights.

With these types of accidents, victims often have difficulty getting financial compensation for hit-and-run injuries or property damage because the person to blame has already left the scene. Drivers may leave the scene because they don't have car insurance, or even a driver's license. Also, they may have an outstanding warrant for their arrest.

Those drivers leave behind injured people who need medical treatment and are faced with mounting expenses for health care and property damage. Our Houston car accident lawyers can go over all your options for compensation.

What is a hit-and-run?

Hit-and-runs involve any incident where a vehicle causes a traffic accident or hits an object or another car and the driver doesn’t stop but leaves the scene intentionally without providing their contact information or helping someone who was injured in the accident.

What should I do after a hit-and-run?

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident:

  • Don't try to follow the driver. The person behind the wheel may be dangerous and should not be confronted without the authorities present.
  • Call 911 to report the event. Offer as many details as possible, including anything you can recall about the vehicle, such as the license plate number.
  • Speak to witnesses and obtain their contact information, including their full name, address, and phone number.
  • Take pictures of your car and the scene of the accident.

If you were hurt in a hit-and-run accident, get legal advice as soon as possible. In Texas, you have two years from the date of your accident to take legal action if the driver is identified. It is important to start work on your case right away before evidence is lost or destroyed and the memories of witnesses fade.

I was hurt in a hit-and-run accident. What damages can I get for my case?

Victims of hit-and-run accidents can face a hard time getting compensated for their injuries, because the driver that hit them took off. You may need to find a way to pay for unexpected doctor’s bills, along with car repairs. If you have uninsured (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage on your insurance policy, a personal injury lawyer can help get you maximum compensation for your damages. And, if the driver who hit you is identified, a lawyer can also help you pursue a lawsuit. An attorney can go over your accident report, which is a key piece of evidence when trying to get financially compensated for your damages.

Who pays for my damages after a Texas hit-and-run?

If the driver who hit you is identified, and they’re fully insured, their insurance company would be responsible for paying for your damages. However, if the driver can’t be identified, you may need to turn to your own insurance company.

If you have uninsured UM or underinsured motorist UIM protection on your insurance policy, we can help make sure you are fully compensated for damages. If the at-fault driver was identified, we can help you pursue a claim. There may also be other options we can pursue for you.

Motorists have an obligation to stop after being in an accident. In Houston, law enforcement authorities take hit-and-run accidents very seriously. They are considered criminal offenses and will be vigorously prosecuted.

"I went to Smith and Hassler's office due to a hit and run accident back in October 2016. My attorney is Darahg Carter. Always, kept me updated on how the case was going against the other Driver's insurance. My mother and I went for Physical therapy as pain was present. My mother's and I case has been settled, and the vehicle has been repaired and back home for about 2 months now. The attorney and assistant are still fighting for us to get more money for the Vehicle's value decrease. Overall, totally recommended!" — Erica

How can a lawyer help me?

A car accident can leave victims shaken and emotional, and there are many things that an attorney can do for you if you are ever involved in a hit-and-run. You can make a claim on your own, but having an attorney representing you can make a big difference in getting maximum compensation for all your accident-related damages. Talking to a lawyer regarding your case is a good idea, even if you ultimately don’t have a case. Fully explore your legal options by contacting a personal injury lawyer – most offer a free case consultation and work on a contingency fee basis.

Contact Smith & Hassler for a free consultation

Our firm has been helping the injured in Houston for more than 30 years. We know an injury from a car accident can affect victims and their families physically, emotionally, and financially. Our attorneys take your case seriously from the start. We work hard to build strong cases and help you recover the highest amount of compensation possible.

We know that cost can be a concern. When you are represented by our firm, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means you owe us nothing unless we recover financial compensation for you.

Call a respected and established law firm that people have trusted for decades. We handle cases in Houston and throughout Texas. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We’ll review the details of your hit-and-run accident, go over your options and answer any questions you have.

Smith & Hassler

1225 N Loop W #525
Houston, TX 77008
Toll Free: (877) 777-1529
Local: (713) 739-1250
Map and Directions


10039 Bissonnet St Suite #214
Houston, TX 77036
(713) 804-6863
By appointment only


14200 Gulf Fwy Suite #103
Houston, TX 77034
(713) 929-2230
By appointment only


15201 E Freeway Service Rd
Suite 203
Channelview, TX 77530
(281) 559-6566
By appointment only

We're located in the Heart of Houston
Free Case Evaluation Click Here
Free Case Consultation