Houston | Personal Injury Lawyers

Spokesperson William Shatner Spokesperson Judge Alex

Free Case Evaluation

Car Accident FAQs

An Aggressive Houston-Area Attorney to Help You After an Accident

You get to decide where your automobile is repaired, although insurance companies sometimes will only cover you if you get your car fixed at a shop that they approve.

A car accident can leave you with lots of questions about what to do next. Our car accident attorneys help you with the answers. We work with people in Houston and across Texas.

Who will pay the fees for storage of my car?

The insurance company of the driver who caused the accident should pay towing and storage costs, according to what is reasonable in your area. If the car or truck is totaled, the insurance company will pay to have it transferred to a salvage or wrecking yard. If you don't want your insurance company to move your car, you will be responsible for any storage or towing fees. Under Texas law, the victim of a car accident has a duty to avoid unnecessary storage fees, even if the accident was not their fault. Avoid being stuck with a portion of the storage fees by contacting an attorney as soon as possible after your accident.

Return to Top

Who decides if my automobile is repairable or "totaled"?

The insurance company who is liable for payment can decide that your vehicle is not worth repairing, which means that it is totaled. To be totaled, the cost of the labor and parts exceeds a percentage of the market value of the vehicle. If you want to keep the car after it has been written off as a total loss, you will have to pay the salvage value to the insurance company.

Return to Top

Who pays the bank loan if my car or truck is financed?

You are still responsible for any loans on the automobile. If the fair market value of your car is less than the outstanding loan, you still need to pay the whole amount of the loan. Put another way, you are not owed what you owe the bank when your car is totaled. You are owed what your car is worth.

Return to Top

Should I see a doctor after a car accident if I feel OK?

Yes. You may be suffering from internal injuries that only a medical exam will reveal. And if you wait too long to get medical attention, it can hurt your claim. Insurance companies may say that your decision to wait to see a doctor is evidence that you weren't really injured.

Return to Top

Do I need to speak to the other driver's insurance company?

No. The other driver's insurance company may contact you and ask you to make a statement or answer questions. We advise that you politely decline because you wish to speak to an attorney first. Then call an experienced car accident lawyer for advice.

Return to Top

Should I accept the settlement offer from the insurance company?

It depends. Insurance companies often will make an initial settlement offer that comes far short of meeting the true value of your claim. We recommend at least talking to a lawyer before you agree to accept any offer from an insurance company.

Return to Top

What is the value of my claim?

That depends on many factors. When determining the true value of your claim, we consider the extent of your injuries, how your life has been impacted and how your family's life has been impacted. Our attorneys take into account the economic damages you've suffered, such as medical expenses and lost wages, and the non-economic damages you've suffered, such as pain and suffering.

Return to Top

If I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, can I still recover damages?

Yes, but that may affect the amount of damages you can recover. Texas uses a comparative negligence rule. This means you could be found partially responsible for what happened. So if you were found 25% responsible for what happened because you weren't wearing a seatbelt, any damages you are awarded would be reduced by 25%.

Return to Top

Do I need a lawyer for my car accident?

If no one was hurt in the accident, and damage was minor, it may not seem like you need a lawyer. But it is a very good idea to at least talk to one to learn about your legal options. Car accidents often turn out to be far more complicated than many people first suspect. We offer a free case evaluation.

Return to Top

Contact a Car Accident Lawyer with Our Firm

At Smith & Hassler, an experienced personal injury attorney will assist you or your loved one in your case. Call (713) 739-1250 for your free personal injury consultation today. Our law firm handles cases throughout Texas.

Remember, your initial consultation is free, and you don't pay us unless you win.